Blowing embers burn down barn, destroy equipment

LUDLOW — Debris from a brush fire that blew into a barn were blamed for a fire that destroyed the structure Saturday morning near Ludlow.

Fire Chief Dave Ingleman said Kim Smith of Paxton was burning brush at a place that she rents at Ford County Road 15 N and 1400 E Ford County, about 3 miles east and 1 1/2 miles north of Ludlow.

Embers from the brush fire blew into the barn, which caught fire, causing an estimated $75,000 damage.

Ingleman said the barn contained equipment, including a Skid Steer loader and a mower, and recently cut lumber.

Ten Ludlow firefighters, who were alerted at 11:30 a.m., were on the scene for about five hours.

Ingleman said the lumber continued to smolder, forcing firefighters to remain at the location for so long.

“It was hard to get all of that wood out,” he said. “It wanted to smolder.”

Paxton firefighters provided water.

dhinton@rantoulpress.com
 

 

Comments

Rantoul Press embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. we reserve the right to remove any comment at its discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments